Tuesday 27 November 2012

paper Maché Rock

Another creative creation for you (finally!!!)! It is going to be a rock! Now don't look at me like that. rocks are very interesting and hard to make!











Next week we will celebrate sinterklaas. It's a holiday centered around an old bisschop by the same name. He, and his servants the pieten (Piet is something like 'Jack' in English), give presents to children who are obedient, but takes naughty children in a sack back to his home in Spain.
Some of you might wonder about the similarity of Sinterklaas to Santa Claus. This is simply because Santa is derived from Klaas, when Dutch immirgants to America took it with them. Afterwards, we adopted santa and cristmas back again, but we simply call him the 'kerstman', or 'cristmas man'.

I am, of course, a little old for this story, but that doesn't mean I cant enjoy it! At school we draw straws with the name of one of our classmates on it. You then have to buy a present for them and maybe pack it in nicely (I myself am not very happy about the 'maybe' part!).
For the person I drew I am going to make a something on a rock. Sadly, I can't tell you what this something is, because the holiday hasn't come yet, so I can't risk this person watching my blog!
I can, however, describe the process of making the rock!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

First you need a lot of newspapers and tape. You crumple the newspapers randomly, then tape it in to keep it in shape. You can tape in multiple papers and tape them together as well.

Then, you take the glutofix (paper maché glue) and more newspapers. At first, you only cover it with a thin layer so the details aren't lost because of your fingers smoothing them. After this thin layer has hardened, you can cover it with thicker layers, leaving them to dry and continuing if it has hardened. If you want to make the rock hollow, like I do, you can make the bottom less thick, so you can remove the chunks of paper later.

After you have finished, you can paint it in any desired color (as long as you have the paint, of course :D).

1 comment:

  1. A rock? *facepalm*
    And I know a better explanation of Sinterklaas:
    Sinterklaas = PRESENTS!

    ReplyDelete